UNI-FI UB5 Hegel H90 Issues

Home Forums Uni-Fi UNI-FI UB5 Hegel H90 Issues

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Aztex 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Aztex
    Participant

Hi,

Had the ELAC UNI-FI UB5 matched with an NAD C368 but 2 amps in a row had hardware issues so went with a Euro brand, Hegel H90.

The Elacs now sound harsh even distorting some mid tones. Cymbal crashes sound like hissing air. Quiet music string quartet sounds ok but say Aerosmith Rocks breaks up at modest 60-70/100 levels.

The H90 is rated at 60 watts @ 8ohms but says minimum load 2 ohms and dealer said should not be a problem. The amp over heated in less than a minute when cranked to 90/100 levels….

Have eliminated connectivity, source and placement issues and now either amp or ELACs.

How can I tell for sure if the amp has what it takes to power these speakers?

Thanks,

Aztex

Charles Mallari

Hello Aztex,

According to their manual, you are correct in that the Hegel H90 should be capable to handle our 4ohm UB5.

Excuse my misunderstanding,have you tried switching back to the NAD and the speakers still sound harsh?

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

Aztex
      Participant

Hi,

No the NAD was returned.

I wonder if Hegel is simply over rating their amp. Most others come right out and say i.e. “60W @ 8ohms; 120W @ 4ohms” or similar.

I recall now some popping noises when a live Grateful Dead played. I thought crowd noise but too startling. Relisten confirmed speakers or amp when over 70/100 level.

Now dealer not sure about the match either…..

Ahhh.. the wonderful world of entry level audiophile!

Thanks!

Aztex

Aztex
    Participant

Well thanks for all the help!

Returned, Bought some Focal’s HUGE upgrade for a few $$’s more.

Next time try answering the messages and maybe you’d have a customer.

Between you guys and NAD clowns…. done with chinese crap!

Regards

Aztex

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.