UB5 vs UF5 Bass Quantity

Home Forums Uni-Fi UB5 vs UF5 Bass Quantity

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tkm 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

tkm
    Participant

Apologize if this has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone could comment on the “amount” of bass the UF5 will provide vs the UB5. Obviously, the UF5 will dig a little deeper due to the larger enclosure, but I wasn’t sure how much more overall bass the floorstander would have vs the bookshelf.

I know the bookshelf is probably engineered to sound like a larger speaker (or a lot like the floorstander). But with the 3 woofers in the floorstander, it should put out more bass in total (and not just deeper bass), correct?

Everything I’ve read on the two has never compared this directly…just the mention of the lower frequency.

Thanks.

Charles Mallari

Hello TKM,

I believe we spoke on the phone about this.

The UB51 and UF51 are timbre matched. In general, UF51 will be able to play louder and have alittle more bass extension. I have notice that the bass extension and overall sound loads in the room a little differently and give a little more dimension and little large spacial quality.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

tkm
    Participant

Charles,

I wanted to follow up with you on this since I appreciate the time you took.

I went ahead and bought the UF5’s and compared them to my UB5’s. I agree with your assessment that the towers “fill” the room better with sound and do offer up a little more bass than the bookshelves do.

For critical listening in a smaller room, I think I prefer the bookshelves. They are extremely accurate and offer very tight (and surprisingly deep for a bookshelf) bass response. But for a larger room, the floorstanders do have the advantage listed above. They keep roughly the same imaging that the bookshelves do as well. And where I’m using them, the floorstanders are the better choice and I’m quite happy with them (although I’m keeping the UB5’s as well).

But I can say that these speakers need a proper amp behind them. They don’t “bloom” until you give them the power that they need.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.