UB-5 as surround speakers

Home Forums Uni-Fi UB-5 as surround speakers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

genesplitter
    Participant

Hello Chris,

I am using UB-5’s as surround speakers in a bass-managed surround sound setup, with content < 80Hz redirected to a pair of subwoofers, so the surround speakers are set to “small” in the receiver’s setup menu. I have two questions:

1) How close can I place the UB-5’s to the wall? Note that the UB-5’s are rear-ported.

2) Is there any benefit to stuffing the reflex port since the UB-5’s are bass-managed?

Charles Mallari

Hello Gene,

My name is Charles, I’m a relatively new full time support team member for Elac. Nice to meet you.

1) In general, the close our rear vented speakers are to the wall the tend to sound more boomy and with more bass.

2) Putting stuffing, a toy sponge ball, or even a rolled up sock will help reduce the boom-i-ness if the speaker is close to a wall. But be careful of over restricting the air flow as it may cause the drivers to overheat. The speaker drivers were designed to function in a vented box, and they may over heat in sealed environment.

Another option, if you are running a sub woofer. On your AVR, we recommend setting the speakers to small and setting the crossover to 80hz. In general, below 80hz the rear vent port is not being utilized on the speakers.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.