Speaker Timbre

Home Forums Uni-Fi Speaker Timbre

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mitchepa 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

mitchepa
    Participant

I have just last week purchased the ELAC Debut B6 Bookshelf Speakers and am truly amazed at the incredible sound quality the speakers can produce!

I tend to use the speakers to listen to music and watch movies, but I would like to expand to a surround setup. Ideally in the future I would like to move the Debut B6 speakers to the rear channels and purchase the Uni-Fi UB5 speakers along with the Uni-Fi Centre channel for the fronts. I will need to do this upgrade in steps and I was hoping my next purchase would be the Uni-Fi Centre channel to be paired with the Debut B6 speakers until I can purchase the Uni-Fi Bookshelf speakers to replace the Debut B6 speakers.

Do you think this would pose a problem with timbre matching? (as I am not sure how different the sound signature is between the two lines).

Also do you think a Denon x1200w would be sufficient to power all of these speakers (especially the 4ohms needed for the Uni-Fi set) They seem to be fine with the two Debut speakers but I am worried about the load with all 5 speakers.

I hope I am being clear in my question. If not please let me know and I will try to clarify. Thanks

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  mitchepa.

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi Mitche,

The Denon X1200w looks like it would be a good match. The manual says it is compatible with 4 – 16ohm speakers which will work fine.

I will have Andrew answer the question about Timbre matching… He should be able to do this tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Chris Walker

mitchepa
    Participant

Hi Chris, wow thanks for answering my question and following up with Andrew. You have developed a fantastic team and I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer customer questions directly.

All the best,
    Paul

Andrew Jones
    Keymaster

Hi Mitche.
    Chris asked me to answer your question about timbre matching.
    Now clearly as we all know, the best results are obtained with identical speakers all the way around. This matters both for timbre matching but also for phase response: If all the speakers have identical phase responses then the sound-field will be more enveloping.
    In this case, the Debut B6 is two way while the UB5 is three way. As a result you won’t get perfect matching.
    However, I do understand about the costs of upgrading and needing to do it a step at a time.
    Right now, I don’t know what you have as a center channel, but you are starting from a point of non-matching speaker set anyway, so lets look at where you could end up.
    Adding the UC5 center channel will give you a big boost in vocal clarity and dynamics. This is crucial because most if not all the dialogue comes from the center. Additionally because the UC5 is a concentric speaker, your off axis listening clarity will especially benefit. While it won’t yet perfectly match the B6, your, its a good start.
    Next, adding UB5 as front speakers will now give you a front stage that will be fully matched and will be very smooth, dynamic and vivid.
    The B6 moved to the rear will work, not quite as well as using UB5 all the way around, but it should work surprisingly well.

Let us know how it works out.

Andrew

mitchepa
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense. I didn’t realize the additional benefits of switching to the concentric drivers. Thanks Andrew for the insightful response and the amazing speakers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.