Software closes when selecting "Storage"

Home Forums Discovery Server Software closes when selecting "Storage"

This topic contains 32 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Klirrfaktor 1 day, 21 hours ago.

• Author

V8M3
    Participant

I am trying to change from having a network connected USB drive with Itunes to a local connection and when I select storage the software closes. This is true on both IPad and PC.

corrpie
    Participant

That’s the answer from Roon about that issue:
    ” mike Roon Labs: Product
    December 20
    Hey @Piero – thanks for this report.

First, I should note that Roon and Roon Essentials are different products, with support for Roon Essentials handled by ELAC.

We handle support for Roon on this site, but I just want to be clear that we don’t generally deal with Essentials here, as the products are different in a variety of ways, and the distinctions can be confusing – that’s why I’ve set this thread to be unlisted.

All of that said, I have been discussing this issue with ELAC and we are hoping to release a fix for it soon. Thanks again for the report!”

V8M3
    Participant

Is there any way to do a re-scan of my library without using the software?

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

The problem also occurs with NAS disk.
    After resetting the Discovery and installing the updates, the error is gone. Only after reading in about 25,000 titles to the library ther error is back.Even without NAS hard drive, only with Tidal Account, the error then occurs again.
    Answer from German Elac Support:
    Unfortunately, we have no control over the software / firmware provided by Roon….

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Klirrfaktor.

stefanwegner
    Participant

I’m also having this problem – I’ve had a lot of communication with Charles to report the problem. Selecting ‘Storage’, ‘Services’ and ‘Support’ causes the app to crash. I’ve restarted, factory-reset and reupdated the firmware in the Discovery server, reinstalled the Roon Essentials app on my iPhone X. Everything works fine for a couple hours while the library imports my tracks from my USB external drive. Once it has imported a certain number of tracks (somewhere above 10-15K) the problem comes back and I can’t select ‘Storage’ because the app just closes on me. They are aware of the problem. It’s a bit of a funny runaround because Roon says they don’t support the Roon Essentials app and to contact Elac. Then Elac says they have no control over Roon software. But Charles has been very nice and responsive and I’m hoping for a fix soon. Cheers!

corrpie
    Participant

Any update on that problem ? It is still around.
    Ciao

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

I just had the update build 36 installed: The error is still present 🙁

corrpie
    Participant

New update is NOT solving the problem!
    Why we do not get any answer?
    It is not possible to go back to the last working one?

hbreukel
    Participant

I have the same problem.
    it would be nice if we get any answer form ELAC on this
    so far it is very disappointing….

corrpie
    Participant

Dead forum !?

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

Maybe we should create a list with people who have the error, so we are taken seriously here?

I’ll start:

1) hbreukel
    2) corrpie
    3) stefanwegner
    4) Klirrfaktor
    5) V8M3
    6)

please continue….

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Klirrfaktor.

stefanwegner
      Participant

Guys, the support here is practically non-existent. When they do answer, it can be after several days. The answers are often in the form of questions and the correspondence can stretch over weeks. I’m not sure what the deal is, and I’m not trying to be insulting, but this has just been my experience. Frankly, it has me wondering whether anyone has paid for a full version of Roon instead. At least with it, you’ll get actual Roon Labs support. I’m considering it now, even though the software is fantastically expensive and I’m pretty pissed at the notion of being forced to pay more given that a big part of the decision to buy the Elac Discovery was the INCLUSION of Roon Essentials. But, with that purchase came an expectation that Roon Essentials wouldn’t be a twitchy/glitchy piece of temperamental software that only works…sometimes. So, has anyone else sprung for a full version? Does it actually work? And do you feel like that was the plan all along – frustrate the hell out of Discovery buyers until they end up feeling they have to pay extortionate prices for full version software in order to keep their Discovery units from being useless bricks sitting on their shelves?

corrpie
    Participant

Me too ! I would like to upgrade to the Roon full version. As far I understand, that’s not possible with the actual Elac firmware !?

stefanwegner
      Participant

Are you serious? I just assumed it would work. Oh, boy.

Charles Mallari

Hello Stefan,

I have emailed you in efforts to find resolve.

I cannot duplicate the issue and duplication is key to resolution.

My thought is that there may be a specific file type, file name, or just sheer track numbers(doubted) that may be causing the issue. Can I have you or anyone import the files in small amounts to see if we can narrow down how the problem is caused.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

stefanwegner
      Participant

Charles, I replied to your email asking for clarification. What exactly do you want me to send you? A few albums worth of songs via WeTransfer or something? Please respond today with a quick clarifying email so I know what you need. Thank you.

Charles Mallari

Hello All,

I understand that many of you have a large library. The concern is that a specific file maybe doing the damage.

Maybe import tracks a thousand at a time and see which grouping breaks the software. I know this is tedious, but as stated I cannot duplicate the issue. I’m hoping we can narrow down a file type, or file name.

If you find such a file you email me at customerservice@elac.us

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

I noticed that the handling with the backups does not work. Created backups are not properly managed, found or deleted. Deleted backups are still on the hard disk with over 15 thousand files.

Charles Mallari

Thanks Klirrfaktor, Is this what is effect the storage issue? If it is please email the file to customerservice@elac.us

If this is separate, it has been noted and I’ll try to duplicate and report this to the developers.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

corrpie
    Participant

Yesterday I’ve done a reset and imported just the HD albums 24 bit without the “auto scanning” for Audio leveling.
    After 15 h no problem ! Previously after the reset and the 16+24 bit files import, 4 h later the app close again as before.
    Now I’ve started again the audio level scanning. Let see what happen.
    Ciao

peterbuchen
    Participant

don’t know how to modify…

1) hbreukel
    2) corrpie
    3) stefanwegner
    4) Klirrfaktor
    5) V8M3
    6) peterbuchen

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

I spoke again with the German elac support. He said that in march a meeting with the (roon?) Developers will take place to discuss the problem.

corrpie
    Participant

10 days ago I’ve imported 14.900 HD/24bit tracks with audio leveling without any problem.
    Yesterday I’ve imported 13.500 CD/16bit tracks without audio leveling. After few hours the problem is back again !
    Is it something related to the 16-44 files or it is related to the large library … close to the fateful 30.000 tracks limit ?
    What about the possibility to upgrade Roon Essential to an unlimited library ? I guess many of us would be interested.

Charles Mallari

Hello Corrpie,

First off thanks, Can we try half of those CD/16 tracks to see if the problem with them comes back without the other files? Also are there any special file names with those 16-44 tracks?

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

You’re right, but what good is an update to a higher title limit if not even the current one works?

corrpie
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    I forgot to say that the CD/44 tracks was added on top of the HD ones, reaching a total of 29.000+.
    Today I’ll reset again. Then I’ll import the CD tracks only. Let see.
    bye

corrpie
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve completed my test. Recap:
    – HD + CD files close the app (29.000+ tracks)
    – HD only is OK (14.000 tracks)
    – CD only is OK (15.000+ tracks)
    Then I’ve imported the same old HD file on top of the CD one : the app close

Conclusion
    The problem seam to related to a huge number of tracks !

Charles Mallari

Thanks Corrpie,

We have been running more test, based on your findings. I’ve been running them since yesterday.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

corrpie
    Participant

any update ?
    bye

Charles Mallari

Update: We are able to replicate the issue consistently on a unit in the office. Our software team is working on a fix.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

chipmoore
    Participant

Hi Charles – your favorite customer is back with the same problem and maybe one more. I have 29,000 tracks (my dsf files did not import) and they are all accessible it seems but when I try to look at what is in storage all the apps fail over and crash desktop and IOS. Happens in Services too. So I went over to my Roon installation and tried the same process and all was well EXCEPT I was asked to update my Tidal password which I did and now everything over there is working. If that connection creates an app problem I don’t know how to fix it without a full reinstall – as you may recall we have actually done that twice trying to fix another problem. Any word from the tech team yet?

peterbuchen
    Participant

– Feb. 20 – new NAS (Qnap instead of WD)
    – Feb. 26 – 26500 Titles plus few from Tidal imported and finished audio level scanning -> no problems anymore !
    – Feb. 27 – April 23 running without problems
    – April 24 – same issue as before with now 27.006 Titles, software closes when selecting storage or services (on all devices)
    -> this is no fun, as I also have periodic network issues using powerline connection (which I didn’t have with Raumfeld, Sonos or Bluesound). Sorry Elac/Roon, I’m changing to NAD w/BluOs Module shortly… good luck for you

Klirrfaktor
    Participant

Distribute updates that make the device useless and then leave the customer alone with the problem instead of helping, e.g. with a downgrade to the version that worked. You can forget ELAC!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.