Roon Software Updates

Home Forums Discovery Server Roon Software Updates

Tagged: 

This topic contains 37 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  maverick 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

i_jacob
    Participant

When can we see the next set of updates? I was told that Aurillac Bluesound and other streamers takes their customer responses seriously and pushes regular updates. The discovery is a great device and it does require a lot of enhancements. When can we see those
    a) MQA
    b) Quality of the tracks displayed when played from Hard Drive and Tidal
    c) Enhanced Music searches. Its a tedious process to search for a track using roon essentials
    d) Frequent App disconnects
    e) Being tied only to Tidal. More services will be a good addition. Like Spotify/Apple Music

i_jacob
    Participant

Helloooo… Can i get a response to my queries…

Charles Mallari

Hello Jacob, again apologies.

a) MQA

We are in the process of working with MQA on the implementation. From a hardware side things look promising. Please stay tuned.

b) Quality of the tracks displayed when played from Hard Drive and Tidal

The track quality can be found on the album – This is one of the differences between Roon and Roon essentials.

c) Enhanced Music searches. Its a tedious process to search for a track using roon essentials

Roon Essentials 1.3 is in progress and the search engine has been optimized for better results and performance. We will post an update on the progress as we get closer.

d) Frequent App disconnects

Are you using an Apple iOS device? I’m using one too and the disconnect happens as apps are not allow to run in background to conserve battery power. It is an Apple idiosyncrasy and not the app unfortunately.

e) Being tied only to Tidal. More services will be a good addition. Like Spotify/Apple Music –

Complete integration of another music service will need to be done by Roon, however we are currently working with another service provider and hope to be able to announce something soon.

maverick
    Participant

Hello Charles

I have to agree with Jacob, The ELAC server is a great piece of hardware that i will not hesitate to recommend to anyone after great music, but the software updates are a big cause of concern.

Mine currently says that the firmware version is 1.3 (build 6) & ROON essentials version 1.0 (Build 16).
    is the update you mentioned going to be the ROON essentials version 1.3?

Clearly MQA is still not implemented yet, search should be much better (definitely no-where on par with Apple music or Spotify. Having to type the exact song/album/artist name with no autocorrects is criminal in this day and age)
    Having Spotify connect & apple music will be a great addition, as while Tidal is great for quality and critical listening, their playlists are sub par compared to Apple & Spotify.
    These other services are certainly better for easy listening and when having guests over.

Charles Mallari

Hello Maverick,

Roon Essentials version 1.3 has not been release yet. We are looking to release it this month. The firmware version is also 1.3 so I can see the confusion.

Again, the hardware has passed certification for MQA. So stay tuned. It’s not going to be part of the 1.3 Roon Essentials build.

Believe me I feel you on the search engine, especially when I do demos. My brief look at the Roon Essentials v1.3 showed a much more robust search engine. I wanted the beta for my Discovery unit and was denied.

As stated, We are currently working with another service provider for a different experience and hope to be able to announce something soon.

But a side note, when I have guest I take advantage of the radio feature in the queue section. It to continues to play music from your library similar to the genre of the last song played after your queue has ended. It has a very similar feel to Pandora radio stations and other streaming systems. It just a matter of building out your library with the tracks from Tidal. Personally, I find it nice, as it avoids artist I don’t care for since those artists are not in my library. Give it a try.

Thanks,
    Charles

Charles Mallari

Hello Maverick,

Roon Essentials version 1.3 has not been release yet. We are looking to release it this month. The firmware version is also 1.3 so I can see the confusion.

Again, the hardware has passed certification for MQA. So stay tuned. It’s not going to be part of the 1.3 Roon Essentials build.

Believe me I feel you on the search engine, especially when I do demos. My brief look at the Roon Essentials v1.3 showed a much more robust search engine. I wanted the beta for my Discovery unit and was denied.

As stated, We are currently working with another service provider for a different experience and hope to be able to announce something soon.

But a side note, when I have guest I take advantage of the radio feature in the queue section. It to continues to play music from your library similar to the genre of the last song played after your queue has ended. It has a very similar feel to Pandora radio stations and other streaming systems. It’s just a matter of building out your library with the tracks from Tidal. Personally, I find it nice, as it avoids artist I don’t care for since those artists are not in my library. Give it a try.

Thanks,
    Charles

maverick
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Charles.
    The updates you mention sounds promising, and i cannot wait to try them.

The radio feature is something i wanted to bring up, it works sometimes, and does not at other times. (I normally leave the radio button online the queue) Am i doing something wrong?

I think the biggest addition the you can do for the Discovery will be something like Spotify connect, i.e. if ROON does not want to do full Spotify integration.
    Another nice to have will be the Tune-in radio integration, because while ROON’s feature of allowing user added radio stations is a nice addition, for a non tinkerer like me, the idea is that things have to work out of the box.
    As a separate note, if only you could get ROON essentials to write a Blog style changelog/feature addition page!
    I get more info from you than anywhere else 🙂

Charles Mallari

Hello Maverick,

Yeah I’m excited about Roon Essentials 1.3 =)

I don’t want to steal the thread. Please email me about the queue Radio issue. Customerservice@elac.us I have a few questions.

Thank you, I recently joined the team, I try my best to respond to support questions and get information as soon as possible.

– Charles

maverick
    Participant

Hello Chales,
    Do we have any news on when the update is coming?

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi Maverick,

The update is in the final stages of testing and once that is completed we will have a better idea of the release date.

We will provide an update soon.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
    ELAC

maverick
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for that, i and everyone here have been looking forward to this update. Hope it fixes most of the concerns mentioned

EdIncleve
    Participant

Hi Charles

“Roon Essentials version 1.3 has not been release yet. We are looking to release it this month.” This was written May 5, 2017.

I don’t mean to be too critical, but I think “this month” is over.

How about an update?

EdIncleve
    Participant

Hi Charles

Re: “How about an update?”

I didn’t mean the Roon Essentials update, I meant could you give us an idea as to how things are going, and a new expected release date.

Is the delay because of Roon Essentials, or does it have to do with MQA?

Thanks

scottsol
      Participant

Deleted

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  scottsol.

Charles Mallari

Hello all,

I’m sorry that I haven’t given you updated information. But honestly I’ve been working behind the scenes to get as much concrete information as possible.

The 1.3 Roon Essential update is so close! It’s a matter of getting coordinating with Roon, iOS, and Android to update at the same time. If one device is updated and the other is not updated the system will no longer function properly.

As far MQA as stated above, the hardware has passed certification. Also as stated above it is not part of the 1.3 Roon essentials update.

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

maverick
    Participant

hello Charles,
    We hope to have the update soon, and hope it fixes most of the functionality additions that are must have.
    A a separate query, when is the MQA planned for release?
    Thanks,

Charles Mallari

Hello Maverick,

Unfortunately, I don’t have a date. I know that this is something everyone wants including users, development, and myself.

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

GC

Discovery 1.3 has been completed and fully tested. It is in final stage of approval which is expected next week. Then we will plan a formal release, a few more weeks.

Discovery 1.3 is a significant update we will be preparing a feature list and upgrade notes which will be emailed to anyone registered and posted.

mw409
    Participant

Hello,
    are the features the same as in Roon 1.3 ?
    Have changed from the 1.3 Trial to the Elac Discovery with the 1.0 Roon Essential Software and missing some (necessary) features now.
    Any news about the Release Date? Could return the Elac within the next two weeks.

Mike

mw409
    Participant

Hello,
    are the features the same as in Roon 1.3 ?
    Have changed from the 1.3 Trial to the Elac Discovery with the 1.0 Roon Essential Software and missing some (necessary) features now.
    Any news about the Release Date? Could return the Elac within the next two weeks.

Mike

Charles Mallari

Hello All,

Last night the update got approved for iOS and Android, based on this information we will be going live on Friday.

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

maverick
    Participant

Charles and GC, ive updated the room essentials remote on my iPad & mac, let me test tomorrow and report back.
    Thanks

Lines_ss
    Participant

Where can I find the change log and user manual for the new version?

BR and thx in advance.

radekker
    Participant

My Android app and Discovery have been updated to Roon 1.3.
    The Roon Essentials software in Windows 10 fails to update however.

Charles Mallari

In Roon Essentials, go to “Settings” and “About” and there should be a place to download the latest update.

mw409
    Participant

Now I got the new Version and everything seemed to be ok at the first moment.

1) Notice in the App today for the Firmware Uppdate –> Update done
    2) Notice for the SW Update on the Discovery Server –> Update done
    3a) Update for the IOS App –> done
    3b) Update the Windows Version on the Laptop
    4) Info about Update / new configuration database –> took a few minutes and the message was gone
    5) Then no access to the libary and the audio devices any more (not from the IPAD nor from the Windows Laptop)
    6) Skipped backup für the moment.

The problem now is:
    1) Cannot manage any audio devices any more. The Settings / audio page ist complete empty
    2) There seems to be no libary any more (no titles anymore); the libary is complete empty. Interesting –> The differnt profiles are still existing,
    Seems the Essential App either on the IPAD nor from the Win-Laptop can manage a connection to the Discovery Server

Tried out to find the problem:
    1) Rescan on the libary does not work
    2) Tried do disconnet the core an connect it again. Didn’t help (Core information ist Firmware 1.3 (build25) Version 1.3 (build29) and status is ready)
    3) several Restarts of the Discovery Server (> 5s without power) didn’t help
    4) Tried out the backup. This seemed to work, even with no connection to the Discovery Server (Backup stored is about 1.31GB with more than 13.000 files –> seems to be ok)
    5) The music libary ist still at the same place (NAS). NAS is connected and access to the directory possible. Backup on this path did work.
    6) Restarted the complete network and every part of it (NAS, Router, Discovery erver)
    7) disabled the libabary share under Settings/Starge/Folders and enabled it again –> “Info about The new version of Roon essentials you installed needs an database update” –> Info that there was a problem with the update –> contact link does not work

Do you have any idea about the problem?
    I’ve spent 2 days on my libary and now i don’t want to do a factory reset and start again.
    I’m still trying out the Discovery Server and at the moment i think it is going back. It is too expensive to be a beta user and i don’t want to spend more time on it.

Even with the 1.0 Version i had the problem, the titles on a directly connected USB devive were not identified correctly (only about 50% of the titles were imported to the Discovery Server). Switching the Files 1:1 to a NAS directory solved the problem.

Mike

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  mw409.

Charles Mallari

Hello Mike,

Possible solutions.

1) In the roon app go to Settings > Audio > and you must enable the all outputs. It’s described on page 3
      https://elac-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2017/06/Discovery-Document.pdf
      If you still have problems please email me a screenshot to: customerservice@elac.us

2) In the same document there is information on connecting to the NAS and USB folders. We get the feeling everything would work if your recreate those links. One of the updates in 1.3 is managing content on storage devices. Previously the device scanned the entire Drive. So even though there is content of the drive you didn’t want in your library it would show up.

If you have to do a factory reset, you have a back up so that should save all information including playlist.

In version 1.0 the system had issues with special characters. They should be fixed now. So you should see all of your content.

Thank you for your patience,
      Charles Mallari

mw409
      Participant

Hello Charles,

thank you for your replay.
      The information in the document didn’t help. It seems to be another problem.
      I’ve sent you an email with the screenshots.

Mike

mw409
      Participant

Hello All,

i have finally done a factory reset. After this the new Firmware (1.3) and Software (1.3) was automatically installed again on the Discovery Server.
      Now everything works as designed 🙂
      Seems there was a problem with the update of the Software on the Discovery Server this morning.

Mike

Sachse
    Participant

The problem that not all files were identified when the SSD (or HDD) is directly connected to the ELAC is nasty but known in general. The filenames of the music files consists of the names of artists and song title and thus, can contain characters like ü or ß or so. This is allowed (NTFS allowes UTF-16 in files names). However, the ELAC does not support such characters.

To solve this problem I wrote a short script which renames all files. It searches all characters like ä and replace ba simple a.

To come back to your problem. Everything worked fine having all music on a SSD directly attached to the ELAC. However, the connected to my NAS (where new imported music is located) is broken as well. I can see the NAS, but no succesful connection to it. I have the check it. I’ll keep you posted when there is a simple solution.

mw409
    Participant

Thank you for your quick reply.

The problem with the charachters like ä, ü, etc. sounds possible. But i don’t think nearby 50% of my files contains this characters.
    I will check and report.

But my main problem is that i don’t see any audio device at the moment. So it is not possible to play any music (even TIDAl streaming does not work).

gpv
    Participant

After updating to roon essentials 1.3 the app works properly on the Samsung tab 2S. On my win7 pc the app runs also without any problem. But on three other android devices (mobile phones) the app can’t find the libraries.
    I have tried several times the following :
    – manual procedure by entering the IP address of elac discovery device.
    – uninstall and install again.
    – restarting
    but nothing helps.
    Any suggestions?

Guy

vrtsman
      Participant

Hi,

I have the same problem. First it seemed to work all fine; but after a few days only my PC can connect to the DS; none of the Android devices (3 at all) can connect to the DS anymore. uninstall / install did not change anything. Of course I am connected to the network because accessing the DS from a browser on the android on the assigned IP works

Dirk

vrtsman
    Participant

Hi,

found the reason why the androids where not able to connect, but from a logical point of view it doesnt make sense:
    1) if “Background Audio Analysis Speed” and “On-Demand Audio….) are set to fast (1 core) none of my android devices cant connect to the DS
    2) if disabled / throttled it works but

I have tried it several times (fast / throttled) I had always the same results regarding connecting
    But why can the PC software connect? doesn’t make sense 🙁

Dirk

gpv
    Participant

Hi,

Restarting the DS worked one day on three of the four devices. But then I lost contact. After that whatever I try I’m not aible to restore contact with the core 🙁

Guy

vrtsman
    Participant

Hi,

what I found out after some more days:
    1) Android with 7.x doenst work anymore
    2) I had to disable “Background Audio Analysis Speed” and “On-Demand Audio….”. If enable connection only works after restart fo the DS; after some runtime of the 2 process, no connect from Tables to the core anymore
    3) Background Audio Analysis Speed” and “On-Demand Audio….” are fuc….. slow compared to 1.0; would take weeks to analyse my 19000 files

Somebody here from PM or engineering are kindly asked to have a look. It seems there are more people out there with the same issue after the upgrade

Dirk

maverick
    Participant

Ive updated to the new version, after extensive usage i note the following.
    The Ui seems more responsive, more fields for search, auto-fill when searching etc., the sound quality is top notch as usual. I think the Discovery is going to be in my chain for a long time.

I do have some questions & requests though.
    1. The search works well for artists, but not for songs, for instance when i search of “billie jean” MJ’s song is not even in the list!!! Could you guys address this in the next update.
    2. MQA, MQA! when is this coming?
    3. Any other streaming services coming?

When is the next update?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.