Rattling Speaker

Home Forums Uni-Fi Rattling Speaker

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hi Def Fan 4 months ago.

• Author

deepakbhatia
    Participant

I bought the ELAC Uni-fi UB5 Bookshelf Speakers in Aug 2017. They have probably 50hrs on them so not a lot. I have not listened much because from very early on I have been struggling to fix the distortion, rattling and buzzing type of sounds that I get at just slightly higher volumes. I have switched the interconnects from left to right, switched receivers (modern Yamaha, vintage Yamaha) and also tried the Schiit Vidar Amplifier. Distortion does not go away. When I use different /Elac speakers I don’t hear the distortion.
    It looks like the problem is with the speakers. Please help. The hype on the speakers is probably true but my challenge is that I seem to have a bad pair. Yes, both soeakers show this behavior as far as I can tell. Disappointed. Have also written to customer service. And posted on the ELAC forums. In hindsight I should have returned to Amazon immediately rather than thinking the problem is on my end as in on amplifiers. So now I have $500 worth of worthless stuff.
    —————

Charles Mallari

Hello Deepak,

I have responded to your email this morning. Support is available Monday – Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific Time.

We are happy to help with the speakers. Due to the fact I’ll need some personal information, I’ll end correspondence here and help you via email.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

Hi Def Fan
    Participant

This is one of my concerns. I understand why a lot of products have to be assembled in places like China to meet an affordable price point, but more than just design needs to come from Elac. They need to have someone from Elac over in that factory making sure the product comes off the line with consistent quality. I wouldn’t have even worried about it had I not seen a CNET review talking of a speaker surround on a UF5 that was sent to them rattling. I also saw a video of a customer who’s UB5 tweeter was rattling badly.

CNET UF5 Review

Customer’s UB5

Now granted ALL tech products have a certain percentage of defect rate, especially when assembled overseas, but a review sample that was sent to CNET not even being checked thoroughly raises red flags. And the odd thing is, this seems to happen more on the higher end Uni-Fi series than the Debut models.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.