Question regarding gain on the S12.

Home Forums Subwoofers Question regarding gain on the S12.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 1 month ago.

• Author

SlyFoxx
    Participant

Loving my s12. So much I got a good deal on an s10 for my attic set-up. Anyway, a question. Do the subs add any gain to the line level input signal? Or at 100% on the level is there just 0dB of attenuation?

I was getting a slight bit of hum running the long unbalanced line from the receiver so I dug around my pile of gear and pulled out an old direct box making the bulk of the run balanced. So the set-up looks like ….receiver—-> 2 foot cable to—->direct box——>balanced line to—->tiny audio mixer——>2 foot cable to back of s12. So I need to know where 0dB of gain on the s12 is so I know exactly where I’m getting gain from. Good news is the hum has already been reduced about 6-8dB to my ears so I’m happier already.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  SlyFoxx.

Charles Mallari

Hello Slyfoxx,

Does the hum go up and down as you change the volume on the subwoofer?

There is a concern that the cable may no have enough shielding. Try moving the subwoofer closer and switching the cable to a shorter higher better shielded cable. If it goes away try using the original longer cable and see if moving the subwoofer and see if the hum returns. If the hum doesn’t, return there maybe something in line of the original run contributing to the hum.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

SlyFoxx
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the reply. I’ve got the situation sussed out just fine. The bulk of the problem was an anemic signal from my receiver. After fooling with the receiver’s auto calibration routine and another sub setting I was able to get about 16 more dB of signal going down the line. Between that and balancing most of the run I’ve bettered the SN ratio by a whopping 22dB! It’s now dead silent at any volume. Plus having the mixer in line is great for making adjustments from program to program. Much easier to turn a knob than fool with the app and having a power strip with a master kill switch is great when the sub isn’t needed. Going on the premise that the sub adds no gain of its own I left it set at 100 after running the S12’s own calibration. (Pic)

S12

Charles Mallari

Cool =)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.