Proud New Owner — Want To Understand Woofer Rattling

Home Forums Uni-Fi Proud New Owner — Want To Understand Woofer Rattling

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TICTAC 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

TICTAC
    Participant

Firstly, I’d like to thank the ELAC team for devising and creating the Uni-Fi UB5. This is my very first real audiophile speaker purchase and I am more than happy to own these very large, very heavy black wooden boxes filled with both joy and magic. Fact is, I am truly and completely elated.

I had been using 2.1 integrated speakers and soundbars with virtual surround for years. This is so much better by leaps and bounds.

Now, I have unfortunately noticed an odd, scratching sound from only one of the woofers when I began playing some songs loudly, especially when loud and bass heavy. Google searches state that this is called “rattling” and is symptomatic of a “blown” speaker.

I downloaded a 40Hz to 200 Hz sine-wave test sweep and it revealed some buzzing at the low frequencies when played at higher volumes. This does not occur at lower volumes and I do not see any physical damage to the woofer itself.

I would like to understand what is going on with the speaker better and if there is anything I could do to remedy it.

Finally, I am using an AudioEngine N22 amplifier with 22W RMS power per channel. This is fairly low to what I’ve seen others mention they use to drive these speakers. Could this be the problem?

Thank you once again, ELAC, especially the Uni-Fi speaker team for this. I did not plan to purchase speakers this expensive. I stretched my budget because I believed the UB5 was something special and I’ve been rewarded for it.

exsomnis
    Participant

If it persists after switching left and right channels, you would be best served by returning them for warranty. If, however, upon switching left and right channels, you find that the other speaker is exhibiting the anomalous sound instead, then it is a problem with your aamplifier or connectivity, rather than the speakers.

bbronczyk
    Participant

I had a similar issue with my Harmon Kardon 22 watt receiver with a pair of small speakers, Epos ELS-3. Everything sounded great at mid to low volume, but if I played it a bit louder with music that had some bass the left channel would crackle. I then bought a new Onkyo receiver with 85 watts and the speakers would play much louder with no distortion at all with the same music. I would suggest that you try a different amp with at least 40 watts or more. It may be that your AudioEngine amp is clipping.

TICTAC
      Participant

Thanks, BBRONCZYK — that’s very assuring to know. I’m looking to upgrade my current amp to the ELAC Element.

Until then, I’m enjoying the speakers at moderate volumes and have learned to manage clipping.

Thanks for educating me about this behavior. I truly appreciate it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.