Power Amplifier recommendation for the Elac B6s

Home Forums Debut Power Amplifier recommendation for the Elac B6s

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

ksbapat
    Participant

Hello,

I am thinking of adding a power amp for my home theater setup (only for L/R channels). My setup comprises of a pair of Elac B6 as L/R channels with Elac C5 as center channel, Elac B4s as the surrounds and a Paradigm PDR 10 sub. Currently powered with the Marantz NR 1403 receiver (just 50 wpc – 2ch dr). Any recommendation on a power amp?

Charles Mallari

Hello,

A separate power amp is a good way to upgrade a system. More power clean power is always better.

But unfortunately, the Marantz unit you have doesn’t have preamp outputs, so you have no way of connecting your receiver to the power amp. So you would need to upgrade to a receiver or processor with preamp outputs.

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

ksbapat
      Participant

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your response. Marantz NR1403 spec calls out for 2.1 pre amplifier out. Please confirm.

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=NR1403

Charles Mallari

My apologize i missed the front left and right… I was looking for the full group including surrounds. So yes I would definitely upgrade with a stereo amp.

ksbapat
      Participant

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the confirmation. Do you have any suggestion on a power amp which will work well with the B6s.

Charles Mallari

This is always recommended, it’s also what we use at most of our shows. =)

DPA-1

I’ve heard great things from customers about Emotiva, Outlaw, and Monoprice units. But I don’t have first hand experience.

Other than that I’ve mainly used much older stuff that isn’t available. These units have been in the family for 30 years. Many of the sources, preamps, speakers, furniture and even houses have changed but the power amp has stayed the same. So it isn’t a bad thing to invest a little more money on…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.