Onkyo TX-RZ900??? 4ohm switch? Is this receiver good for Uni-fi?

Home Forums Uni-Fi Onkyo TX-RZ900??? 4ohm switch? Is this receiver good for Uni-fi?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  MM 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

MM
    Participant

I’ve ordered the UF5 slim speakers and center speaker.
    I just picked up an Onkyo TX-RZ900 receiver.
    The Onkyo specs are:

All Channels: 200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 Channel Driven) 140 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven)
    Dynamic Power: 320 W (3 Ohms, Front) 270 W (4 Ohms, Front) 160 W (8 Ohms, Front)
    Speaker Impedance: 4 or 6 Ohms–16 Ohms

There is a setting to change the speakers to 4 ohm. Does this need to be selected? I’ve been reading that I should leave it at 8 ohm.
    http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

The article states:
    “Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. In most cases we recommend the 8-ohm or more setting. The manufacturer puts them there for UL/CSA approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.”

So is will this receiver work well with the speakers and center speaker?
    Do I need to change the speaker setting to 4 ohm or just leave it at 8 ohm?

Thank you!

• This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  MM.

MM
    Participant

OK so I’ve been playing with this setup and everything is great. My biggest problem is my living-room acoustics, but I’ll work on that later.
    The guys at Elac really helped me out, thanks guys!
    This receiver drives these speakers easy.
    The receiver fans turn on after a long period of music playback. The fans don’t turn on with movies.
    I’m still tinkering with the center speaker for movies.
    I added the 12eq sub to the mix as well.

Now I just need to add some ceiling rears. Recommendations?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  MM.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.