New Ub5 killed my Yamaha Rx-V483?

Home Forums Uni-Fi New Ub5 killed my Yamaha Rx-V483?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dalsim007 5 days, 17 hours ago.

• Author

Dalsim007
    Participant

Hoping for some help and guidance. I have been using this amp/receiver with my Debut B5+C5 for just over 2 years now and absolutely loved those speakers. I just recently upgraded to the UB-5 and after 2-3 days, the receiver does not recognize any speakers anymore (or even my PB-1000 for that matter). It powers up fine, but does not output anything and show nothing available in its setup menu. I think something fried on it from listening to music rather loudly (-7 db on the display)…

From what I was understanding is that the dynamic power on the Yamaha should have been ok with them being 4 ohm (using the 6 ohm setting on the amp). It is not quite clear if it even have internal protection either. I seem to understand this model was 80 WPC for the LR channels. Not clear at 4ohm though?

So, if I am moving to another receiver, where would I be able to find a proper receiver to use those magnificient UB5 without fear of busting the amp again? All I can seem to find are 6-8 ohm receivers… I intend to keep my current setup : PB-1000, C5 and pair of UB5 for my 3.1 setup.

Dalsim007
    Participant

I was thinking possibly a Denon AVR-X2500H or Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 as a replacement. Both mention specific output in 4 ohm. Any idea on which one would be a better fit?
    Although I currently use it as a 3.1, I am considering making it a 5.1 using additional UB5 or reusing my older B5 speakers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.