MQA

Home Forums Discovery Server MQA

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Robert
    Participant

I want to ask you what are the plans on MQA on the Elac Discovery ?

Charles Mallari

The Discovery runs a version of Roon, called Roon Essentials. Currently, full Roon does not support MQA. According to their forums, Roonlabs has made MQA support a top priority. After they have implemented MQA on Full Roon, we hope to be able to test and incorporate this feature to Roon Essentials.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

saylormd
    Participant

In the meantime—What is the effective format currently (before MQA integration) when playing a Tidal Master track via the analog output of the ELAC Discovery Server? I am guessing it is usually 96 kHz 24 bit. is that correct? Would it be the same using an a hi quality external dac?

It sounds good, slightly more detailed than CD, but as I audition the ELAC I would like to know what fidelity I am listening to. Neither Roon nor Tidal tells me, nor does my external dac (though it locks on nicely, and sounds nearly identical).

Charles Mallari

Tidal has 96 kHz/24 bit lossless files. But the Discovery supports 192kHz/24 for Local content.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

saylormd
    Participant

I still do not know what fidelity I am listening to. Charles, does the MQA “first unfold” occur currently when a Tidal Master is played on the Discovery?

Charles Mallari

Hey Saylor,

The Standard files that play from Tidal are 96 kHz/24 bit lossless files, which is equivalent resolution to MQA’s first unfold. From my understanding, MQA is a lossy format. It’s smart lossy, but still lossy. But I understand there is a special processing that makes it “better”. But I really do wonder if MQA at the first unfold is better than a fully lossless 24/96.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

Robert
    Participant

Restart the topic full Roon 1.5 is now supporting MQA is it now possible that Elac wil support MQA in Roon Essentials ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.