Linear Power Supply for Discovery Server

Home Forums Discovery Server Linear Power Supply for Discovery Server

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  EdIncleve 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

EdIncleve
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has tried a liner power supply, or the iFi Audio iPower DC power supply with the Discovery Server.

If so, are you using the digital output with an external DAC or the analog outputs, and have you noticed any improvement in sound?

Thanks,

Edincleve

Charles Mallari

Hello Edincleve,

I know we are communicating via email. But for others, the Discovery needs to 2.0 amp and that power supply only has 1.8.

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

Ralphies
    Participant

If one wants a linear power supply, you can buy an Sbooster, Dutch brand created a special Elac Discovery linear power supply.
    But I heard from reviewer that the standard Elac power supply is designed well.

EdIncleve
    Participant

I did get an SBooster 12-13v linear power supply over a month ago. It didn’t make a huge difference, but the difference was immediately apparent. I have heard reviewers talk about a blacker background and I wasn’t sure what they meant by that. Now I do. That was the first thing I noticed when I changed power supplies. Although I hadn’t previously noticed much noise with my system, the sound now came out of quieter (blacker) background that made everything sound cleaner and clearer.
    Although it wasn’t inexpensive at $375, which is more than 1/3 of the price of the Discovery Server, I’m pleased that I upgraded the power supply.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.