Help me choose: B6 or UB5?

Home Forums General Help me choose: B6 or UB5?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 5 months ago.

• Author

crabrangoon
    Participant

Our Pioneer Andrew Jones soundbar happened to die while I’d been looking into the Debut line for music at home. Now I need to make a selection that can double duty between home theater and music use (vinyl, FM tuner and Apple TV streaming). The living room is an open floor plan of about 15×12′ and the seats are about 10′ away from the screen/speakers.

I plan to use a Yamaha Aventage RX-A760 receiver, the pair of Elac bookshelves and an S10EQ.

Later down the road I’m open to adding a UC5 and/or a pair of A4 if we decide the Atmos would work well in our room, but no true surround/rear speakers are in my future. The B5 or B6 would leave much more room in the budget for a center/Atmos addition sooner than later, but I’m happy to go UB5 if it really outshines them at both tasks I have in mind.

Charles Mallari

The Debut B6/B5 is easily the best value speaker in our line up and is by no means a “compromise”. But if you have the means, we always recommend upgrading the Uni-Fi line.

There are plenty of great reviews of the Debut B5/B6 describing their sound.

Many find that UB5 them overall smoother with clearer vocals and dialogue. The UB5 with it’s concentric driver, it is a true 3 way speaker. So the mid-range doesn’t have to produce the bass frequencies. Also the tweeter and mid-range have better blending, because of the concentric layout.

The higher price isn’t the only deciding factor. Your Amplifier also needs to be able to handle the lower impedance of the Uni-Fi speaker. Like most higher end speakers the Uni-Fi are 4 ohm speakers. Most mid to higher end amps can handle 4 ohm speakers and if not there are ways to use the Uni-fi with those amps when using a subwoofer as most do.

That Yamaha receiver can handle 4 ohm speaker on the main left and right channel, but for the rest is can only handle 6 ohm speakers. So if you choose to use that receiver, don’t running the speakers in full range(this is not recommended anyways) and have a subwoofer. On the receiver set the speakers to small and set the crossover point at 80hz. All speakers have different impedance at different frequencies and the nominal impedance is based on the lowest impedance at certain frequencies. At full range the Uni-fi is a 4 ohm speaker, but only focusing on the frequencies at 80hz the speaker looks like a 6 or 8 ohm speaker.

Sorry for the long reply.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.