Faulty AM180 amplifier module

Home Forums General Faulty AM180 amplifier module

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nils Joneborg 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

bardbe
    Participant

Hi

I have a 2 years old Elac AM180 active speaker, which I have been very satisfied with up until now. Recently one of the speakers started to sound very distorted in the bass when increasing volume a little bit,and later developed into a crackling noise, indicating a problem with the amplifier module. The speakers have never been driven hard, so no reason for it to fail. I contacted the Norwegian distributor and they said that this amplifier problem have been seen before. They could not supply this module from Elac, because this model was discontinued, and apparently no spareparts was available for this model. I then got 2 options: return the speakers and get a Debut B6 or pay €2000 extra and get an Air-X 403. Neither option is applicable for me, as the B6 is a passive speaker of lesser quality/value than AM180, and the 403 is too expensive for my budget. Since the distributor could not help me I sent an e-mail about it to Elac, but no response. For a professional and respected firm like Elac I think it is fair to expect them to stock necessary spareparts for speakers just out of production, especially if it is a known problem to a certain model.

I would like to get a comment from Elac if it is true that this amplifier card can not be supplied. I am an electrical engineer and is qualified to replace the amp module myself, or if no other solution exist, I can try to repair the module, but then I need the schematics.

I hope there can be a solution to this problem.

Regards
    Bård

emilhem
    Participant

I have the same issue as bardbe.

How come that you don’t give support to your customers ELAC?

Do you have any spare parts or schematics for the device?

Charles Mallari

Hello Emilhem,

I started here at Elac US in March of 2017 and this is the first I’ve seen of the problem. I have reached out to Elac Germany to help you.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

Nico
    Participant

I have the same problem of amp on one of my AM180. The other already had problems with a hp cable that was bumping on the woofer, my local dealer is 250km from home which makes the interventions complicated. I own the famous ELAC ELT7 for years. They were stored because they were replaced by the AM180 and their ribbon tweeter.
    I am dismayed that spare parts are no longer available. With such dubious reliability, we can speak of planned obsolescence. ELAC, when a breakdown is recurring as this forum seems to attest, This is a design flaw. What solution do you offer to your loyal customers?

Charles Mallari

Hello All,

Service for the AM180 is being maintain by the offices in Germany. Please contact info@elac.de for your specific needs.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

Nils Joneborg
    Participant

Hi,

I bought a pair of AM 180 speakers, ,through a Swedish Dealer, 4 years ago and now have the same problem with the amplifier, with a blurry crackling noice. I’have Disconnected my DAC etc but the noise is still there. I love my speakers so this i very disturbing.

Best regards,

Nils

Nils Joneborg
    Participant

Hi,

I bought a pair of AM 180 speakers,through a Swedish Dealer, 4 years ago and now have the same problem with the amplifier, with a blurry crackling noice. I’have Disconnected my DAC etc but the noise is still there. I love my speakers so this i very disturbing.

Best regards,

Nils

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.