ELAC Discovery Disclaimer & Full Transparency

Home Forums Discovery Server ELAC Discovery Disclaimer & Full Transparency

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

adcom555
    Participant

Hello –

I’ve been researching the ELAC Discovery Server and as stated in another post of mine, it seems very capable and has received very good reviews. However, it appears the product may be on a End of Life path as I see Best Buy is starting a clearance of the product – specifically the ELAC Discovery only – no speakers. I’ve read through the support forum and honestly I am alarmed at the number of non responses from ELAC on this product. Yes, there are many questions that have been addressed by ELAC, but when you read the second post of most questions it typically read “Hello, anybody there…”

What really has raised the flag with me is the ELAC Disclaimer that appears “only” on the ELAC Discovery Series DS-S101-G music server. It reads:

“Third Party content services may be changed, suspended, interrupted, or discontinued at any time without notice, and ELAC disclaims any liability in connection with such occurrences.”

This disclaimer does not appear on the ELAC Discovery Connect DS-C101W-G which is just a Roon Endpoint I believe.

From what I can gather, the concept of this product – using a variant of Roon was way ahead of its time. Still seems like a good idea! However, over the past few years, no other products have been released using Roon Essentials. Also, Roon has actually released hardware called Roon Nucleus that is a one box solution – although you must still by a full license of Roon Server and supply a DAC. I’m just wondering if Roon has second thoughts about Roon Essentials?

I did see on another post in the forum that an ELAC rep said the company would support ELAC Discovery up to 5 years after the product stopped being sold. But the disclaimer mentioned above really causes me to think twice about purchasing the ELAC Discover server. Could Roon just “force” Roon Essentials to stop working? And ELAC Discovery users end up with a non-working product?

Can ELAC elaborate on this disclaimer? Hopefully, Charles Mallari can give us information on the future of this product and/or support.

Thank You,

Mark

Charles Mallari

Hello Mark,

The Roon Essential and Full Roon follow different update paths. If you decide to purchase the Discovery Music Server please purchase it based on Roon Essentials current feature set. We fully intend on provide bug fixes and updates to keep it a viable product for years to come.

“Third Party content services may be changed, suspended, interrupted, or discontinued at any time without notice, and ELAC disclaims any liability in connection with such occurrences.” is a pretty standard disclaimer. Roku devices even have them It just means that if tidal or internet radio stations etc… for some reason cease providing content when cannot force them to provide that content.

Technically, the Discovery Connect should have that disclaimer too as Spotify could also cease providing content.

The Roon Nucleus is a great product, with it’s current feature set the Discovery can still do all the essential things that full Roon provides. (pun intended)

The Discovery is still a current product in our line and as stated in your previous post it’s the center piece of a lot of future products.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

adcom555
    Participant

Thank you Charles. You’ve put my mind at ease.

blan
    Participant

i’m sure that puts alot of minds at ease because it certainly came off as circling the toilet and your recent responses are the first direct statements that its not…..i personally love the discovery server and would probably buy into its new wifi stablemate if it would have had a couple spdif inputs to be used in a standalone wifi dac instead of so many outputs. any future plans for something like that?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  blan.

Charles Mallari

Hello Blan,

The only current option is the DDP-2 is a dedicated preamp and it has network features to make it Roon Ready along with several other options. https://www.elac.com/product/ddp-2-preamplifier-dac-streamer/?r=us

Cheers,
      Charles Mallari

blan
      Participant

yup…..would love one of those…..maybe if you had a scratch and dent for like 60% off?

Charles Mallari

We also have shown at several recent conventions, an new version of the EA101EQ-G. In a few review it was called the EA102eq-G, the Wifi Amp, or the Discovery Amp. It will have all the feature except USB input and a Headphone Jack, but it will have Preamp Outputs and Wifi capability and will a lot of the network inputs that are in the Discovery Connect.

It will be available very soon.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.