Debut 2.0 vs Uni-Fi Slim

Home Forums Uni-Fi Debut 2.0 vs Uni-Fi Slim

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jwf2.tao 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

HTReno
    Participant

I’m trying to find information as to what the difference is between these two speaker lines. The Uni-Fi’s seem to cost more, but the few reviews I have read tout he new Debut 2.0’s as an improvement to the Uni-Fi’s.
    My application would be 80% movies and 20% music listening. Room is 14ft wide by 16.5ft long by 8ft 10in. high with a fixed acoustic projector screen.

Charles Mallari

Hello HT Reno,

I responded to you other post. The Debut 2.0 is an update to the original Debut. The have been improved to perform a little closer to the Uni-Fi speaker. The Uni-Fi and the Uni-Fi slim perform exactly the same, but the Uni-Fi is painted and has slimmer proportioned box and they have the same box volume.

The Uni-Fi is still a superior speaker. The Uni-Fi still has a concentric driver, aluminum cones, a cabinet that separates the mid and tweeter from the bass woofers, and a much more sophisticated crossover. In general, Uni-Fi has an extra driver compared to the Debut 2.0 equivalent model. IE The UB51 is a 3 way speaker while the DB62 is a 2 way speaker.

Yes the Debut can play a little higher in frequecy, but that’s not everything. In general, the Uni-fi is a smoother sounding speaker, with more defined vocals and clearer bass.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

daddyora
      Participant

Charles, is it ok to mix/match debut 2.0 and unifi speakers ? i.e. can I use a UniFi center and Debut 5.2 L/R speakers together ?

Charles Mallari

Can you? Yes…

Should you? The C5.2 is a perfect match for the B5.2. If you think of stereo you wouldn’t have one speaker be a bookshelf and the other be a floorstanding speaker, because it would cause a balance issue. It’s best to have all 5 or 7 speaker match from the same series. Moreover, some believe that the LCR are the most critical to match.

So unless you have a UC5 laying around, I would more likely purchase a C5.2 instead of a UC5 if I had B5.2. Or if you had plans of building a Uni-Fi system in the future I would buy the UC5 with thoughts of buying UF5s and moving the DB5.2 to the rear.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

jwf2.tao
    Participant

I’m also looking at several different speakers. Setting up a new room in a new house, with a much larger room than I have had before: 13x26x9, pretty hard room but with decent diffusion. Looking at the new Marantz NR 1200 for power. After research and listening I’m leaning toward Debut F6 or Unifi B5. Stumped because I just have no idea how room size/acoustics will affect performance. Any input greatly appreciated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.