Break In for Uni-Fis

Home Forums Uni-Fi Break In for Uni-Fis

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Walker 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

bozoweb
    Participant

What is the recommended time/method for breaking in Uni-Fis?

UB5
    Participant

I like to listen to speakers for an hour or so when new. Then, I put them in my garage, wire one speaker out of phase and leave them playing high res, ‘audiophile’ recordings that will exercise all drivers full range, on a loop at normal/slightly above normal volume for 30-50 hours. With one speaker wired out of phase of the other, much of the sound energy will cancel…place a heavy blanket over the pair and they won’t make much sound at all to annoy.

Once this is done, I listen to compare. This eliminates the variable of my ears/brain adjusting to the characteristics of the new or fresh speaker and/or when breaking in.

I did this with a new pair of B6s just last weekend. The treble is now much less harsh and the bass is somewhat less bloated (I have a nearly all concrete room that is tough to tame at low freqs). I’m excited to get a pair of UB5 to compare against the B6, I’ll keep whatever I like best…

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi,

The speakers should sound good right out of the box, however Andrew usually lets speakers break in for a good 24 hours before he uses them at a show. The speakers usually sound a bit more relaxed.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
    ELAC

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.