Best Integrated Amp for Adante AS-61?

Home Forums General Best Integrated Amp for Adante AS-61?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Argonaut765 4 months ago.

• Author

Argonaut765
    Participant

Hi-I purchased a pair of the new Adante AS-61 stand mount speakers. At the moment, I’m powering them with an Onkyo A-9050 integrated amp at 75wpc at 8 ohms and 65wpc at 4ohms. First off, the Adantes sound AMAZING!!! I bought them last week and have spent hours playing cds and vinyl I’ve had for years. In many cases its like listening to these recordings for the first time with many recordings never sounding this good to actually hearing instruments I hadn’t heard before! So, thank you Andrew Jones and Elac! But back to my question. For years I’ve always had separate amps and preamps(i.e. Phase Linear, Rotel and Carver C-4000 Holographic preamp for examples powering Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers). After losing this system a couple of years ago, I purchased the Onkyo 9050 and a pair of Debut F5 towers. The Onkyo sounded great with the Debuts but I know the Adantes can perform better with an upgraded amp. I would like to keep a replacement integrated amp under $1500. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Argonaut765
    Participant

I guess that no one else has attempted connecting the Adante AS-61 monitors with an integrated amp or maybe no one had any suggestions? Oh well, for anyone who might attempt this coupling, after reading many glowing reviews, I purchased the Cambridge Audio CXA80 integrated amp(80wpc into 8 ohms and 120wpc into 4 ohms). To my ears, this amp sounds great with the Adantes. I’m also using the Cambridge CXC cd transport and the Elac S10 Debut sub which I had from my previous system. Though I’m sure the new Adante sub is a higher quality component, the S10 compliments the AS-61s well enough for now. Maybe the Adante sub down the road. I would still be curious to hear from others who might power the Adantes with an integrated amp.

rickytrnr
    Participant

Hello

I next tried matching the AS-61 with a Naim Uniti Atom stereo integrated amp.

Charles Mallari

Nice! Let me know your impressions.

Argonaut765
      Participant

Hi-You said that you “next” tried the Naim with the Adantes. What amp or integrated amp did you try before the Naim and how does the Naim sound with the Adantes? Thanks.

peterstark
    Participant

Viewed from the outside, the Adante AS-61 speaker looks as if it has just one woofer — a front-mounted 8” cone. But that’s actually a passive radiator not driven by the amplifier. Instead, inside the speaker is a 6.5” woofer that is driven by the amp.

mobile app Development Company

Argonaut765
    Participant

Four months after I asked this question here in the Elac Forum, I feel that I have resolved this/my dilemma. For me personally, the answer is to take a very good integrated amp and use it as a pre-amp with an excellent power amp. A few days ago, I purchased the Audio Alchemy DPA-1 amplifier(125wpc 8 ohms and 200wpc 4 ohms) which I connected with my current Cambridge Audio CXA80 integrated amp. After many hours of listening, I feel that I have finally found the combination that really makes the Adante AS-61 speakers perform, if not to their ultimate level, close enough for me! As good as the Adantes sounded with the Cambridge, I was immediately struck by the elevated sound quality with the DPA-1. Increased low level bass response, broader soundstage and beautiful imaging. The Alchemy amp simply supplies the power that these speakers demand. It’s funny to think back when I purchased these speakers in December, hooked them up to a good but basic Onkyo integrated amp(75wpc) and thought that they performed well. Little did I realize at the time what the Adantes could really sound like with the appropriate power amp! Anyway, I hope my experience might help others in combining these fine speakers with the components that best match their performance demands.

vulcanore
    Participant

Hi I am Loving my AS-61 Speakers, I a using a Wyred 4 sound Amplifier ST1000 which into 8 Ohms Delivers 460 W ok sounds like overkill but it is not when used sensibly. First thoughts, this was going to be hard sounding but after running it in with Anticables 2.1 cables it sounded great. Couple of marked improvements I have found improve the sound. I use Anticables level 5 jumpers and I have changed the feet on the stands to IsoAcoustc GAIA feet. There is a marked and noticeable difference. Tightened bass, detailed top and great soundstage next I went to the front end ( having a Sotm SMS200 and Cambridge CXN in the middle) And 2 of the best improvements in my front end were the use of Roon Labs player through a SonicTransporter server and to the SOTM CAMBRIDGE via Supra CAT8 cables wow no longer just a step from pp to FF now a full detailed Crescendo from pppp to ffff be prepared to jump out of your seat. I have owned Maggies and Electrostatics from Martin Logan and I can say paired with the right Equipment and cables the AS-61 speakers can equal and better many on the market at 10X the price. I have tried to balance both the Spec and the sound so now it is true timbre, attack, clarity and an open soundstage after a long time I have got there and it shows through my AS-61 stay with them.

Argonaut765
      Participant

Wow!! Nice system! As I’ve said in my previous posts, the addition of the Audio Alchemy amp transformed the sound of the AS-61s tremendously, for me at least. If Alchemy amps are good enough for Andrew Jones and Elac, they’re certainly good enough for me! Thanks for responding to my original post. I’ve been surprised that so few people have added their thoughts on the Adantes in the Elac forum? After 6 months of living with them, I couldn’t be more pleased with their performance. Enjoy your Adantes!!

vulcanore
    Participant

Buy a big bitch of an amplifier these speakers can take it, they open up and can delight i love them with my Wyred 4 sound ST 1000 as said above a good amplifier does make a marked dofference.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.