Best cable wires for Uni-Fi system

Home Forums Uni-Fi Best cable wires for Uni-Fi system

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Sefier1
    Participant

I have a Denon AVR-x4400H and planning on getting a pair of the UB5’s, UF5’ with the UC5 to go along with my debut 2.0 3010 sub. What are the best wires to get to maximize the potential for this set up? I know the minimum suggested gauge is 18 but if I really wanted to take advantage to bring these speakers to life what would be optimal?

Charles Mallari

Hello Sefier,

Cable theory is a hotly debated topic in the audio industry. I’m hoping someone will weigh in about their experience.

We in general recommend a minimum of 16 gauge cable for runs up to 25 ft.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

Sefier1
      Participant

Would a 12 gauge be too much or wiring too thick for these speakers?

Charles Mallari

12 awg should be fine.

Sefier1
      Participant

Great, thank you!

rmathes
      Participant

I just purchased the UB5s as my front speakers in a 5.1.2 system. They’re powered by an Onkyo TX-NR737 receiver and use approximately 10′ of speaker wire each. I’m currently using 16 gauge wire, should I go to the trouble of upgrading that to 14 or 12 gauge? Would I hear a difference? Would it be better for the physical health of the speaker?

It’s always kind of a pain to rewire stuff, but I’ll absolutely do it if it makes a meaningful difference.

Charles Mallari

Hello RMathes,

If you were going over 25ft then we would recommend a larger gauge cable like 14 or 12 gauge. But since you are only about 10ft it should not be a problem.

In the Audio industry there is great controversy as to the audible difference between cables and different theories. I would prefer to talk about politics and religion to be honest. Some think it makes no difference and while others believe it changes the sound completely. I try to remain neutral, but I will say choose cable equipment that is appropriate value for your gear.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

rmathes
      Participant

Thank you, Charles!

If I may, one more question on this subject. I wanted to save money on rear surrounds so purchased Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers designed by Andrew Jones. They are 6 ohm speakers. We have to run wire around the outside of the room to get to them, so one is at the end of about 35′ of speaker wire, the other about 25′. Would 16 gauge be ok there because it’s a 6 ohm speaker or does the length of the run necessitate a thicker wire regardless of the speaker’s impedance?

Charles Mallari

With the 35 ft run I would go ahead and using a thicker gauge and if you are upgrade one run I would use the same for all…

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.