Auto-EQ: what`s the profit?

Home Forums EA Series Amp Auto-EQ: what`s the profit?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

frale
    Participant

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with the Element- App. When I use the Auto-EQ feature, the App takes nearly the measured Room- Response without any differences/ changes.
    The speaker- measurement was ca. 25cm between tweeter and bass (Tab towards the speaker), the room- measurement at listening position, tab with micro upwards.

How can I “kill” the Boom at ca. 40 Hz? Thats what i expect from a Room- Measurement

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4848/8nrnryk6_jpg.htm
    http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4848/us25s3cl_jpg.htm

Excuse my english, it is rusty.

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  frale.

Kayos
    Participant

Hey frale,

do you use a subwoofer?

If not, I encountered the same problem as you. Below 80hz the room response was not corrected.
    Till today, this problem persists but only when I measure the room with an android device.
    see here:AutoEQ feature problem

As I used an Iphone, this problem went away. I think there is still a bug in the adroid app which prevents proper correction 🙁

So one thing you could do is to try an apple device for calibration and see what happens.
    This is also interesting for me. If it works with an apple device, then I´m not the only one with this problem 🙂

Best regards
    Kayos

Charles Mallari

Hello Frale and Kayos,

I found this video helpful to the process of using the Auto Blend and Calibration.

it is important to note that the intention of the calibration is not to flatten out the curve. When you take the near field measurement it shows what the speakers sounds like without room interference. Then when taken to the listen position(far field) it takes second measurement. The EQ then tries to match the farfield with the nearfield. It general we want the speakers to sound like the nearfield(the way the manufacture intended) in the listening position.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

frale
    Participant

Hello
    i dont have a apple device, i knew the video and i have no sub.
    My speakers are too big for my room, but i love them, so i hoped a room eq will solve or reduce the problem with bass modes.
    Why uses the app the room response without greater changes? Then it is the same without a measurement and useless. You say, most people want the nearfield response, so why took the app the room response?
    I´m really disappointed.
    Will there be the possibilty to manually change the eq in the next versions of the app?

Kayos
    Participant

Hey frale,

I can feel you. I too, have no apple device and to this point in time cannot get a proper EQ calibration.
    And the funny thing is, that I use Equalizer APO and have dialed in my own EQ, which makes the a HUGE diffrence.
    I very sad, that the auto EQ is not working for me and I would be so much happier, if I could insert my own EQ settings into the EA101eq-g.

Btw: I already suggested this a while back (suggestion: manual eq) which was completely ignored by Elac 🙁

Best regards
    Kayos

frale
    Participant

Hi
    the problem is solved: i sold the Amp.
    Without a EQ- function it is just a nice but too expensive amp.

Casimiro
    Participant

I apologize for hijacking the thread. I have a similar problem . I have the UF5’s with a Sonance 10-150 Sub. I am using an apple iPhone 6S and a Ipad mini to control the amp. I am getting little to no room correction with the amp as well. Maybe, I expected larger
    drastic EQ and Phase alignment changes. When the EQ and Sub blend is toggled On and Off I hear very little change. I followed the video and I measured multiple time with both devices. Have a look and see if this is what a typical result should be.

blend eq

Casimiro
    Participant

I don’t think my image attached correctly last post. I apologize. Lets try this.

Kayos
    Participant

@ Casimiro I still can´t see any attachment.

Regarding the Auto-EQ feature: This feature can only do so much. If your room is really shitty, the Auto-EQ might make it a bit more acceptable, but it will never be perfect. I think the Auto-EQ works best, when your room already sounds pretty decent. Then some slight EQ adjustment can give you an awesome linear frequency response. Maybe your room acoustics are already very good, then you would expect no change with the Auto-EQ.

Casimiro
    Participant

@ Kayos, Somehow posting a photo on here has proven to be an embarrassing challenge. I agree with your statements on the Auto-EQ. I think my room sounds decent, not amazing, not shitty. I guess I was hoping for more dramatic low end management, which is a difficult task without treating spaces properly. Thanks for your response. Hope you are enjoying some tunes this weekend. I will try to post my screenshot again. room correction

Casimiro
    Participant

nope…

Casimiro
    Participant

http://tinypic.com/r/nmj5gw/9

try this one last time, this way.

Kayos
    Participant

@ Casimiro

I had a look at your graph and there are two things that stood out.
    The red line, which shows your room response, has a dip at 50hz and a small peak at around 80hz. The green line, which is your corrected response, strictly follows the green line. If there would have any eq correction taken place, this should not be the case. The green line should more closely follow the yellow line. So, in my opinion something is not working correctly.

Secondly, I realized that in your graph there are no separate responses for your speaker and sub. When I run the auto-eq measurement, I get separate close mic responses for the speaker and the sub. The lines for that are purple. They are missing in your graph. Are you sure, you told the app that you have a subwoofer connected?

Casimiro
    Participant

@ Kayos,

I agree with everything you said. I saw online what other graphs looked like and thought maybe a software update had changed the graphics displayed. I then figured the amp had very few filters to apply and chose them poorly.

I tell the app I have a sub, choose size of speakers (cross over point). Take a near field response of both a main speaker and the sub. Then it goes through the phase shift measurement at listening position for the sub and then one far field measurement with both the mains and the sub. The resulting graph is what you see. I have run the procedure many times. I am at a loss.

Thank you for your time and insight.

Casimiro
    Participant

One more note of interest in my case, after running the aut-blend procedure The sub out volume on the app is always set at -12. That seems odd, as then I am in charge of blending the ratio of Sub to Mains. What would the point be of an Auto-Blend situation when the consumer is ultimately left to blend the system? Could someone from Elac please explain this and maybe provide some insight into my situation? Cheers.

Charles Mallari

Hello Casimiro,

What subwoofer are you using? What is the volume level? The AutoBlend will lower the sub volume as needed to smoothen the curve. My thought are the volume of the sub maybe set too high that the amp is lowering the subvolume to compensate. try lower the sub volume and seeing if that sets the volume closer to zero.

As far still why we allow you to manually manage the sub volume. Factors like content, personal preference, and temporary listening may require more or less sub volume.

Let me know if this helps.

Respectfully,
      Charles Mallari

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.