Active UB5's

Home Forums Uni-Fi Active UB5's

This topic contains 43 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Mallari 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Joe_Fonebone
    Participant

Does anybody know when the active UB5’s will be available?

frdismx
    Participant

Hello,

I am also extremely interested in this. I am holding off on buying any speaker until the active UB5’s become available. And the second that happens I am buying several of them.

While I know that it has been a short time from the launch of this line, it would be very reassuring to know that this active version is happening, and whether it will be released on the short or mid term (for example, is this happening this year?). A “soon” estimate would be amazing.

There also seems to be contradictory information regarding the conectivity options for the active version. Is it really a closed ecosystem with the discovery server? Will it feature bluetooth? More importantly, will the on-board DAC allow digital and analog line inputs? I think that last point is fundamental. We need the flexibility.

For reference, my dream version would be an active UB5 with the european (slim, painted) finish. Dying to get that.

dgall
    Participant

Hi guys,

Yessss, I am dying to see the european black finish, active UB5s together with the streaming media server. I am new into HIFI and liked the idea, budget, reputation… I would like to test the system in a shop and buy it. I am starting to think that everything is smoke, even though I have a budget ready for this…

Joe_Fonebone
    Participant

Allegedly from “Vice President Product Development ELAC America” — “We are targeting late September/Early October.”
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2170761-elac-owners-thread-36.html

We’ll see ….

frdismx
    Participant

That would be amazing. I have a professional audiovisual background, so I am very used to dealing with active monitors and it’s advantages.

Trying to transfer that world to “hi-fi” (seeing what that world has to offer, trying to do my personal listening system and get it “right” by hi-fi standards) has been an extremely frustrating experience for me. Having an external power source with excessive power to deal with the inefficiencies inherent in the system feels like wasteful and unnecesary. Knowing that choice is actually carried by a tradition of what’s supposed to be better, and much likely by the standards of a luxury lifestyle marketing machine, gives you an additional overprice on top that just feels wrong and makes me question if I want to enter into the hi-fi ecosystem with all it’s fixations. Yes, different amps will give the sound different characteristics. No, I don’t want to mix and match in what is absolutely a subjective experience varying by thousands of dollars, and I would much rather have the opinion of the designer and stick to it.

Nor do I want to buy a surround receiver for the price of a computer and a multichannel audio interface that not only can decode and output the audio at the same quality, but actually create that high quality sound too, amongst thousands of other things.

I do think that there is an artificial divide between the pro-audio and hi-fi systems, that the hi-fi ecosystem is too specifically designed to work with a fixed set of products that are supposed to be necessary and separate, and that Elac is looking into a better future with an active UB5 proposal. I think Andrew pretty much nails it on his interview about it.

Rant over, but yeah, I am happy to have this prospect and eager to get more news.

frdismx
    Participant

Ok, that came out wrong. Re-reading that, it is confrontational and I didn’t intend to. I also don’t want to claim expertise that I don’t have or say that there are absolute solutions.

Let my try that again: For the price bracket that I am in, the best proposal and value per money that I have found appear to be the active UB5’s. It presents a seres of compromises that work for me and that I am willing to make. It also adjusts perfectly to my intended case of use. As a personal aside, I wish there were more options for the compromises on power and sound generation in hi-fi, such as those used by monitors, in all price segments.

There, hehe, much better. Now, I have an additional question I would like to ask:

1.- When compared directly, what would be recommended on a sound quality basis: An active UB5 or a passive UB5 with the debut integrated amplifier? Would I be better off with one of those, as both options are within my price range and I can go wired?

2.- When is the debut integrated going to be available? As usual, it looks like Elac is giving stellar value per money in that product. The connectivity options are great, there is a sub out and room correction, etc.

I hope maybe Chris can clear my doubts on the amplifier. Thank you!

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,

The active versions of the Uni-Fi series are scheduled to arrive by the end of the year. Since the models will also feature wireless as well it is taking some time to get the firmware finalized.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
    ELAC

Joe_Fonebone
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. I know that we can be an impatient bunch, but there are surely worse problems to have than customers champing at the bit to buy your products. 🙂 Keep up the good work.

Aberslam74
    Participant

Elac & Chris,

Will there be active versions of the Uni-Fi UF5 or UC5 ?

Thanks,

Aberslam74

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi Aberslam74,

We will be starting with a the UB5 powered/wireless versions and probably add other models, but nothing to announce right now.

Thanks,

Chris

collegebudget
    Participant

I would kill for some Elac Uni-Fi UF5s (figuratively). What would be really cool is if you could connect active speakers to each other. For instance, if you bought some active UB5s and eventually decided you wanted a surround sound system. It would be a hassle in many ways to get rid of them, and then get passive ones. I don’t know if that’s something that would be too hard to do, but it’s a really cool concept, given that you guys have a center.

My Main question I wanted to ask though, was whether or not the Active UB5s would have a sub output. Will they?

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi, currently there is not a plan for a subwoofer output on the main speakers..

Thanks,

Chris Walker
    ELAC

frdismx
    Participant

Hello,

Any news on the active UB5’s? I see the element amplifier about to launch but no word on the active speakers. Is it still on track for release on the end of the year?

Thank you.

Russell Coight
    Participant

Would also like to know this 🙂

jswallac
    Participant

Count me as another that is very interested in this product. Please provide us with an update on the launch date.

Count Von
    Participant

Also very interested in picking up a pair. Curious to know whether you’ll offer a UB6 variant and whether we can connect to the speakers via Bluetooth

Rixmat
    Participant

Is there still a chance the Active UB5’s will be ready to drop just in time for Christmas? (Any connectivity spec’s much appreciated)

Russell Coight
    Participant

I’m guessing we won’t get an update until CES 2017.

Joe_Fonebone
    Participant

Here is a glowing review of the somewhat pricey competition (KEF-LS50). Any update on the active UB5 release date?

KEF LS50 Wireless review & DAR’s Product of the Year 2016

frdismx
    Participant

I agree, Joe, KEF seems to have beaten Elac to the punch on this one. On the flip side, it goes to show the large interest and oportunity that there exists on active speakers for this price range, with good conectivity options. I think John Darko’s opinnions as to why it matters are spot on.

I hope we get some news at CES. As for features, I hope they match Kef’s offering on connectivity. Last we heard on this thread, the UB5s were not getting a subwoofer output, and we still don’t know about streaming and such, or number and type of inputs. Neither do we know about price, and at least for the element integrated there was a difference of 200 dollars between the planned price at the beginning of last year and the realease price, along with less watts per channel than originally announced. All of that understandable, but it shows that we dont know how wide will the gap be between both products on this one, as not all planned features could make it and price could increase.

If they don’t offer enough flexibility (to the point of making it a viable all-in-one system like the KEFs, and not just a good active that has something like bluetooth but still needs additional equipment) they will be conceding a great advantage over to KEF. Trying to force something like the discovery ecosystem on this one would not be a good move.

Truth is at least where I live, once you factor in taxes and shipping and the fact that KEF has a local dealer and Elac does not, the LS50W and the passive UB5s with the Element are not far appart in price. And I would rather save a bit more for the more expensive (and feature complete) option than have less features than the Element is offering. Here is hoping for the active UB5s.

Russell Coight
    Participant

Can we have an update please?

frdismx
    Participant

Hello, can we have some communication from Elac please? This is the second most active thread in the whole subforum. I would assume that there are many people interested in what is going on.

We have not heard anything since November, when you guys were targeting for the end of the year. There was no mention at all of the actives on CES, and on Facebook I can see an announcement of a new bluetooth speaker, but nothing about the UB5s.

So the main thing we would love to clarify is, is this still happening?

Thank you.

Russell Coight
    Participant

How hard is it to give us some sort of update?…..

Rixmat
    Participant

Before the extreme amount of time waiting for news/release date for these “amazing” speakers, buying anything else was out of the question. I’m seriously starting to consider alternatives now as I just don’t think they care enough about the customers who are excited about their products. I don’t think Elac will be the right fit for me.

Joe_Fonebone
    Participant

Since things still seem to be in a state of flux, could you advise to whether or not the active UB5s will have partial or full MQA decoding capability? Thanks.

Chris Walker
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to apologize for not being more active on the forums and getting to everyone’s questions. We have been a little overwhelmed.

The good news is that we have hired a dedicated support person who will be responsible for the forums, social media, phone, and email support. He will start next week and should start posting immediately.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
    ELAC

8steve8
    Participant

Last official update said these would launch by the end of 2016.

Could we have an update?

HeadDoc
    Participant

I am looking at a pair of Klipsch “The Sixes,” which seem like close competitors. My guess is they will sound (far?) worse than the active Elac UB5s, but they do have one distinct advantage: they exist, and thus can be purchased, and then enjoyed. If only I had some way of knowing when the Elacs will be released…

HeadDoc
    Participant

I have a new theory: the passive UB5 sells for $500US. If you’re gonna do the amplification and crossovers and DSP, etc. properly, and throw in some kind of wireless streaming capability, I think it would be pretty difficult to come in much below $1000. Now, once you start asking people to pay $1000 for something, you need to make sure you are selling an expensive-FEELING product. The cheap vinyl laminate might not cut it. So, Elac decides that it makes more sense to use the classier “slim” version of the UB5 as a template, which goes for $750US. Now, if you’re lucky, the active UB5 is gonna be in the neighborhood of $1200, possibly much more (I didn’t even address MQA). Once it approaches, say, $1500, it is starting to be in the company of the KEF LS50 wireless system, which, from what I have read, seems like the kind of system that a person might keep for decades. If I am considering spending $1500 or more for a system, I will start looking more seriously at making the larger investment in the KEF system. Elac might be having trouble keeping costs down, and knows it can’t quite compete with KEF in terms of sound quality (at least regarding these two models), so is stuck. This is one possible explanation for the delay. Thoughts?

Russell Coight
    Participant

I think the dedicated support person they hired needs to pay this thread a visit. It’s been nearly a month.

Charles Mallari

Hello All, I apologize for the delay on the active UB5 updates, we’re grateful for your patience. We are still actively working on the final solution and we should have an update over the next couple months. Other projects have taken more time than expected.

– Charles Mallari

Russell Coight
    Participant

Ladies & Gentlemen, the thread rests.

See you in a couple of months.

jackmac
    Participant

Okay, it has been a couple of months. Can we please get a status update? Thanks!

collegebudget
    Participant

Anything new to share anytime soon??? Will you guys share an ETA with us?

Thanks for the great products by Andrew and the team

Charles Mallari

Hey Guys,

Thank you for reminding me to update you. I wish I had better more definitive information, but at this time there is not much to update.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

vpillay01
    Participant

Hi New to this forum. I am interested in Elac as are many. My question involves the uni fi slim’s and future active options. My budget places me in the uni fi domain. I personally like the size and performance offering by Elac. Are active speakers just as good for home theatre in a system already running a decent receiver such as the denon 7200 wa? Also will the active speakers elac are currently working on cross talk well with passive uni fi (can one mix and match) . Are the active speakers also going to require a separate power source such as nearby outlet?

Any guidance from Elac would be appreciated.

Joe_Fonebone
    Participant

Anybody know anything about the Airpulse MODEL-1?

The AIRPULSE™ Model One by Phil Jones includes these built-in features:
    Hi Res Audio 24/192K DAC / Pre-amp with Remote Control
    Manual Volume, Bass, and Treble Controls (Rear Mounted)
    90 watts RMS x 2 Class D
    DSP Error Correction
    Bluetooth® AptX 4.0 Wireless Input
    Digital Optical / Coaxial Inputs
    Analog RCA or Balanced XLR Inputs
    Proprietary 3″ Horn-Loaded Ribbon Tweeters
    5.5″ Phil Jones Signature Aluminum Cone Mid-Woofers
    Universal Voltage 85-260v AC power input
    Wired internally with TRANSPARENT™ (USA) cable
    Dedicated optional stand available

collegebudget
    Participant

Are the Active UB5’s still going to happen? I’d like to know, because I’ve been holding out on buying new speakers for a while because of these.

Charles Mallari

Hello All,

I’m sorry that I’ve been quiet on the subject of dates.

During product development we decide to go another direction in terms of wireless technology.

We are hoping to show something in the fall.

Thanks,
    Charles Mallari

climber
    Participant

I’m very sorry to hear that, Charles. I’ve been following this thread for a year hoping for good news, but “a new direction” that may be shown in the fall means I have run out of patience. I’m going to suck up the expense and order a set of active LS50s tomorrow.

I get that r&d takes time but you shouldn’t tease products that won’t make it to market — it’s a bad way to treat potential customers. Maybe next time keep quiet about your projects until they’re actually going to go into production?

Good luck.

Russell Coight
    Participant

Any updates?

Russell Coight
    Participant

Update please?

Charles Mallari

I’m not allowed to say much at the moment. But I’m looking forward to CES.

Respectfully,
    Charles Mallari

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.